Today, among the beauty-trends such kind of make-up as draping has emerged and is gaining popularity. Makeup artists do not stop to look for opportunities to make facial features more expressive and attractive, but to leave them natural, spending as little work and effort as possible.
What is draping?
As you might have noticed the word ‘draping’ filled up the beauty-vocabulary. The name alludes to the game of shadows and light accents, which is created on the skin, as if on the fabric. In Europe, draping is recognized as a great and quick way to make cheekbones, which certainly gives them expressive. Besides, draping is presently considered as the most gentle, simple and improved method of sculpting the face.
A little history
Simple townsfolk have learned this method only in the last few years. Initially, this technique was popularized in the 1970s by the star make-up artist named Wei Bandy. Between 1960 and 1970, the estheticians often crossed different cosmetic brands, not thinking that it can be bad for the health of customers. The healthy appearance of the skin of his clients was in Wei Bandy’s priority, so he developed his ‘natural’ method of applying makeup.
In his articles, he advised to experiment with colors and mix them. Of course, he was referring to the shades that resemble the color of the skin. In his extremely clear works, Bandy also taught makeup artists to sculpture face on the basis of the unique features of the particular person, emphasizing their dignity. At the time this was a revolutionary concept in the field of beauty.
But soon she sunk into oblivion, a bright and even outrageous make-up came to the top. For this reason, in recent years it was a rule that blush should be used very carefully and that this tool is not suitable in any case for making the contour, as there were on the market, in general, only saturated hues.
However, fashion is changeable: in 2016this rule was forgotten, shadows and blush of pastel colors were remembered, and thanks to Marc Jacobs, the trend of draping revived. In the summer of 2016, he released a compact set of multiple shades for contouring the face, which can be used together or separately. The ladies will be able to experiment with colors and emphasize the area of the face with the color that is most suitable to the outfit or mood on a particular day. As makeup artist stated, experimenting with color and light is the way to a natural drape and delineation of the face, and the key to a stunning result is in the mix. However, despite the fact that both times in the modern history of makeup draping was adopted as a breakthrough, this technique is very old, has been used for many centuries.
It is possible that this method of makeup has revived because of the current contoured products mostly noticeable on the face and because of this, look unnatural and rough enough. Over time it becomes obsolete and boring. With the blush, the appearance becomes more natural as they give the skin vitality and at the same time adjust the features.
Advantages and features of draping
Draping is a technique of applying two-color blush with light semi-circular, rotational or spiral motion upwards from the cheekbones to the temples and brow bone.
There is the actual layering of rouge, which reveals the meaning of the name of the method. The combination of two colors is needed to create the same effect of draperies, which implies hiding of some areas not concealing the absolute form and not interfering to see them from the side.
Draping does not hinder the facial muscles and therefore allows you to behave in a natural way. You do not have to worry that something might crumble and that you will need to be tint some imperfect areas in some amount of time. The main advantage of draping is that this technique does not violate the natural elegance of the features by the implausible and excessive amount of makeup.
The darker color is applied under the cheekbone, if possible in a straight line. Dark tint gives a nice shadow effect that makes undeniably beneficial emphasis on cheekbones. Above the line with a dark shade, it is necessary to put light blush, and below, preferably, highlighter, creating a kind of gradient on the face. Both shadow tints should be combined to create a pleasant, natural result. Borders, of course, extremely important to be good shaded. This will create the effect of chiseled cheekbones and a fresh, rosy complexion.
The beauty of this technology is also in the absence of the brown stripes that result from contouring and catch the eye in certain lights. Without a doubt, this is the most convenient way with the help of rouge to make the face more textured, saving time, nerves and money, because blush of any price range, not necessarily expensive, will suit this makeup, However, it should be noted that too catchy and flashy colors should not be used.
It is better to choose soft, pastel shades: dusty rose, roasted almonds, peach, sandstone. On the market today, there are, as mentioned, special shadow sets collected in one palette. The tone should be selected according to the face complexion and shape depending on what you want to emphasize or highlight. With rouge you can visually pull the face, making it full, if necessary, hide flaws and present facial features in a favorable light.
Three basic and essential cosmetics products: powder, two options of blush (light and dark), highlighter. Before draping, one should immediately identify the skin type. The creamy texture is best suited dry skin; for the normal, oily or combined type it is recommended to use dry products.
Sample of correct draping looks like this:
1. Powder the area of cheekbones and cheeks with a fluffy volume brush. This will let the gentle application of the blush, avoiding stains and other unwanted effects, and shade it with no problems.
2. Apply blush for darker tones along the cheeks on the diagonal – from the ear to the middle of the cheeks – with the beveled brush for the corrector. Begin the feathering first from side to side, and then only up.
3. Apply a light blush to the apples of the cheeks traditionally. To facilitate the task, you can smile and easily tap the protruding portions with the brush. But it is worth noting that for some, this method will not work, because when you smile wrinkles or folds appear around the eyes, which the pieces of rouge can get. In addition, with the relaxation of facial muscles after the smile, the protruding parts can be displaced, and with it, the entire make-up will go down. It is also worth remembering that you should start the feathering of applied blush from the apples of the cheeks to the temples, but not in the reverse direction. Overlaying of a small amount of bright blush on the temples will give the face more fresh and attractive look.
4. The final touch will be an emphasizing of protruding bones under the eyes with the highlighter that \ will make facial features more sculpted. However, the European fashion shouts that highlighter is applied to the middle, the soft part of the cheek between the two bones. This will give the effect of ‘Sunny Bunny’ or ‘sun kiss.’ This method is very popular among employed women, time-saving, thanks to its simplicity and speed of execution.
Variations for different types of faces
Universal version of the draping is applying the blush on the cheeks in a circular motion to the temporal lobe. This option is suitable for absolutely all types of faces. But the main thing is not to overdo it: from the front under the eyes blush should not be visible. There are also some tricks that will allow any lady to look perfect:
•For the long face and the face in the form of heart, applying the blush with the thick brush by rotational movement of the spiral suits. This trick will make the face visually wider and make it more proportional;
• On the faces of round and square form, rouge is applied with a thick brush from the forehead in a semicircle through the temporal lobes to the bottom of the cheekbones. This technique is used quite a long time, but still has not lost its relevance, allowing to reveal blush palette with the best hand. It should be noted that this technique is suitable for long face, because that will make it possible to place accents, and shift attention;
• Girls with the round faces when applied shadows, it is advisable to make the ‘duck’ lips and to apply them to a straight line on top of the cheekbones from the temple, and then with another brush, apply the light shade on top in a circular motion in the opposite direction. This will help to visually pull the face. At the moment, every European makeup artist has left a number of unique options for applying blush for any appearance.
Undoubtedly, this makeup technique is based on the features of the face structure. Unlike contouring, draping activates the area of the cheeks and cheekbones exclusively. All its naturalness is that most of the skin is clean. The ‘new old’ makeup technique has a significant advantage: there is no need to use dark colors, creating a shadow that mostly looks very unnatural and gloomy in a close distance.
Modern makeup artists believe that in the future draping will take a leading position and will shift contouring from a podium. Combining all the above facts, it is impossible not to recall that the new draping trend is well forgotten old technology, used in the art for several centuries ago. Moreover, all genius is simple!
The ease and speed of the makeup and the accessibility allow draping become the actual fashion trend.